Monday, June 6, 2011

fam·i·ly [fam-uh-lee, fam-lee]


(noun) a basic social unit consisting of parents and their children, considered as a group, whether dwelling together or not: the traditional family.



We all take family for granted. We've all been guilty of "Ugh! I've got to spend Sunday with my family, can't wait to get it over with!" We'd rather be with friends doing something; or going on vacation; etc. Well, I think as we get older, we realize, we should cherish every moment we have, before it's all gone.


Our family are the only people that we can really depend on. They were there while growing up. They were the ones that went right through that awkward stage with us! They are the ones that we have laughed the most with and the ones that we have cried the most with. They are the ones we have the inside jokes with. Our families are the ones that are in most of our life memories and if one of them passes, it is these memories that we try so hard to refresh, to hold onto!


Our parents, all though we don't want to think about it, in the back of our minds, we always know, they won't be around forever. It's still hard losing a parent. I can honestly say, I believe it took me 10 years to get over my Mother's passing. By "getting over" I mean being able to function as a complete human again. There was a big gnawing hole in the pit of my stomach that took a long time to heal to the point it was bearable. Again, though, our parents we (sort of) expect.


The passing of my sister Francine has hit us all hard. She's one of "us". We're supposed to live for many, many more years. There was always the "three" of us . . . the three girls. I have a hard time accepting that isn't the case anymore, I can't wrap my mind around the fact that my older sister is no longer around. She was the "older" sister. She was the one that was born "old". She was the one that paved the way with the parents and grandparents that made it much easier for those that followed.


We recently gathered for Francine's 40 Day Memorial, even that seemed surreal . . . how are we having a 40 Day Memorial for my older sister Francine? All my cousins (except Phillip) came to VA. It took a terrible tragedy like this to bring us all together again. There we were, cousins, back being kids again enjoying just being together. The laughs were a plenty that weekend. The whole time, I kept seeing the twinkle of my sister's eye; I kept thinking how much she would have enjoyed the time we were having. I, also, kept thinking how proud she would have been of the beautiful spread Stefanie, Maria, and Eddie had all worked so hard on, and, especially, how proud she would have been of Maria's Koliva (no koliva for you!!). Francine was SO proud of her "girls", Maria and Stefanie. She was even more proud of her grandchildren, Jimmy and Zoe . . . the room lit up when they entered, according to Francine (and rightfully so!!).


So, I know this is the evolution of man; the evolution of family . . . but it doesn't mean I have to like it!!!


I miss my older sister; I miss the fact that I can't just talk to her whenever I want. We shouldn't take family for granted. They may be pains in the butts (at times), but they are our pains in the butt!! We need to cherish them always, for we never know when they will be taken away.

5 comments:

Joanne said...

great blog Chrise. I feel the same way. although, I was told that you can speak to Fran whenever you want, she'll find someway to answer you back. Hang in there..

nicole said...

Beautiful and well said. I finally had my breakdown the other day. After hearing about Aunt Evelyn, it was like the dam broke and I finally had all the feelings at once. I mourned every passing I've ever experienced, especially Francine since it's still so unreal, and I grieved for my family. This year has not started off pretty. I can only hope it will get brighter so we can all laugh again! The laughing gets us through the hard times, but the bleak is always close behind. I want that to pass so we can smile with whole hearts.

SAT said...

I love you and count myself blessed everyday for our family. Beautifully said.

skbproductions said...

We are a family. We are freinds. We are all connected in our lives and will remain so. How fortunate. They say you can pick your friends, but not your family. If I had my way, I think I'd pick you all on my own! Love to all.

Chuck n Jess said...

I am so sorry for the losses in the family. I know this is a hard time, but I am sending you love from afar. You are my family too.