Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Beauty School Drop-out . . .

OK, it's been awhile . . . . a l-o-n-g while since I have posted anything. My niece Alexis puts us all to shame, but we love keeping up with the Dilullo gang and being updated while we wait for the "big arrival"! Can't make any promises, other than to say, I'll see how it goes in the future upcoming months . . . maybe Alexis will inspire me as she did in the beginning.

Well, for now, I have something to share, it will probably make most of you laugh, but I think it's neat . . .

I enjoy getting pedicures, actually I enjoy the result . . . much better looking feet! I have never been a real foot fan, the least of all my own!! I "lovingly" refer to my feet at "shoe box" feet. They are rectangles of foot and squared off toes. I have never had the prettiest of feet. Never the "dainty", pretty, perfectly shaped feet of a model, or even a girl, as far as I'm concerned!! YUP, just squared off rectangles!! And, as those of us who are aging have realized, they don't get better with age!!! Ergo, the pedicures!! At least some regular maintenance and polish make the whole foot thing easier to swallow (or at least look at!).

Now, like most of us, I gave in and was frequenting one of the "Asian" owned nail salons. Let's face it, who's got the time or the money to "pamper" themselves with an American owned actual salon pedicure? So, I became a regular of the "Asian" owned salon. You know what it's like . . . you walk in, the place stinks of chemicals, they're all wearing masks, but we just breathe! Dusty cluttered nail stations and the pedicure stations with the "massage" chairs, that the remote is always set on some kidney busting "pulsating" action. You walk in and you are told right away "pic cola" "pic cola" as you are directed to sit in a chair. Now the direction is all in some universal "nail salon" sign language, because they don't speak English and Vietnamese wasn't one of the language choices to learn when we went to school. Now you've "picd yo cola" and you are sitting in the massage (?) chair. All through the pedicure you are being gently nudged on your legs and feet to move here or there, in and out of the water. The whole time, as you notice how dainty there bodies and feet are, you are thinking of the Seinfeld episode where the Asian nail techs sit there talking about Elaine as the "big hoofed American"!


OK, so, getting more and more displeased with the experience, I decided to try a whole new experience . . . a beauty school pedicure!!! There are two beauty schools close here. One is only available 8:30 to 2:30 m-f, so that one was out for working people! The other is right around the corner from the place where I get my hair cut, they have evening hours, AND take appointments . . . I'm there! So, I call and make an appointment for a pedicure. I must admit, I was a little apprehensive as I walked in . . . but the place is decorated like a first rate salon, you know, those dark wood cabinets, dark tanish, grayish painted walls, leather furniture in the reception area. I am quickly greeted by a young woman who is very nicely groomed and speaks English!!! She greets me and takes me back to the "pedicure" room. We are in a back area of the salon, secluded from the rest of the clients and noise. OK, there was no massage chair, but there was a nice black leather chair and foot stool. My "student" proceeded to give me my pedicure. She explained, they are graduating students that need a "certain" number of manicures, pedicures, etc to graduate. She needed 14 more pedicures, after me, 13!


All in all, it was a very relaxing experience, no yelling "pic cola! pic cola!"; no incessant chatter in Vietnamese; no hitting the leg or foot to motion that you need to put it in or out of the water; just, simple directions in English, simple conversation in English, and in the end it was $15!


I will be returning, for sure . . . matter of fact, my student needs just 4 more facials, I've booked one in June for $20!

2 comments:

SAT said...

Great idea! I need to find one here.

Alexis said...

First off, I'm ashamed of my own blogging lately. I've just been too tired and pregnant to sit at my desk and type these last few weeks. I hope this poor baby gets half the blog posts that Samantha did otherwise I'm going to have a lot of explaining to do when this kids grows up and wants to know why there is no documentation of his or her childhood.

Secondly, I too have grown tired of getting my nails done at the place I go to. It's like the opposite of relaxing to have someone yelling across the room in another language while simultaneously waxing your eyebrows. So I need to check into this beauty school thing. Is there a website where you can find your local beauty school salon?