Saturday, July 25, 2009

"Bottles & Brushes"

Well, I know it's been awhile (I did promise Alexis I would be better at this), but honestly, I really didn't have anything interesting to report on. Since the last blog posting, I've had a series of "goo" shots in my knees to help build up "cushioning". I had the FLU, dead to the world for a good week (and, NO, it was not the swine Flu . . . I did ask!). The past two weeks, I've basically still been building up my strength, still, from having the Flu. So, nothing interesting . . . until NOW!
I saw an ad in the Newspaper for a painting workshop, called "Bottles & Brushes". Basically it's a two and a half hour workshop, held at a wine shop, where you paint in acrylics. So, for $35 you get to go to a wine tasting, eat hors d'ouvres, get a $10 gift card towards purchases at the wine shop, and, plus, the instructor provides everything needed for you to go home at the end of the two and a half hour session with a completed 16x20 painting! I figured, how can you lose?!?!

So, I signed up, and Thursday I went to my 1st "Bottles & Brushes". In the back room of the wine shop, there were tables set up with easels, canvases, paints, and brushes. There were about 8 women, a good number, nice and intimate for good hands on instruction. The teacher is a young ex HS Art Teacher. She paints a picture, and we, the students, with her direction, proceed to paint that picture. It was funny, here you have 8 women, all painting the same picture, but in the end, there were 8 totally different paintings!

I've been wanting to get back into painting for the longest time, and acrylic is my favorite medium. However, I haven't really painted since college! I wanted some "instruction", some "guidance", to get me going again. Well, this was the perfect venue for that!!! I came home that night feeling so calm. The creative juices were once more flowing. I can't wait to pick up a brush again. I may even paint this afternoon!!
So, now to this posting. My family has always been so kind and supportive, but a Picasso or Leoma Lovegrove, I'm NOT! However, I am posting the picture we painted, and I would love some honest feedback. Now, before I get attacked, please keep in mind, the picture was what we were given, and I haven't picked up a brush since college . . . but, go ahead, post away!






5 comments:

Unknown said...

Love it! I can't wait to go with you next time.

skbproductions said...

Your painting looks like something that would make it onto my walls. Although, maybe not demented enough. Keep it up, I see very large/flat chirstmas gifts in our families future.

Alexis said...

I love it! I would definitely display that in my home.

That is such a cool class. I wish they had something like that here I would be on that in a second! Keep going, it sounds great.

SAT said...

I love the colors! BTW I always loved your paintings at Yia Yia's of the flowers. Where are they now? I think it's great you're painting again. Love you!

nicole said...

well i love the painting. although i can't tell the difference between the two pictures. i guess that's a good thing.